Cyclone Gabrielle and Auckland flooding support

Find information about available support for people affected by Cyclone Gabrielle and the Auckland flooding.

Find this information in different languages

Information about Cyclone Gabrielle and Auckland flooding support is also available in 20 languages on our website.

See local updates from your Civil Defence Emergency Management Group

Get the latest news from the Cyclone Recovery Unit’s update


Financial support

Several funds were set up in response to the floods and Cyclone Gabrielle however many have now closed. You can find information about some of the active funds below.

Information on other national, local, or regional funds can be found on agency websites.

Work and Income

Work and Income may be able to help support with accommodation, or urgent and unexpected costs.  

Find out how Work and Income can help

Primary Industries

Support is available to farmers, growers, whenua Māori owners and rural communities through the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI). This includes funding to support wellbeing, health and safety, animal welfare and urgent recovery efforts.

See MPI’s support for Cyclone Gabrielle recovery


Business support

Affected businesses can access tax relief including alternative payment arrangements and removing penalties and interest.

Find out more


Accommodation support

Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS)

TAS may be able to help if you cannot remain in your home following Cyclone Gabrielle and the Auckland flooding. TAS was activated for the following regions:

  • Northland
  • Gisborne 
  • Bay of Plenty 
  • Hawke’s Bay
  • Waikato 
  • Tararua District 

If you were affected by the weather events and need temporary accommodation, you can register with TAS. A temporary accommodation coordinator will be in touch.

Find out more about TAS

Register for TAS


Mental health and wellbeing support

It's ok to reach out for help – never hesitate if you are concerned for someone else or yourself.

For help with anxiety or mental wellbeing, call or text Need to Talk? on 1737 to speak to a trained counsellor for free, 24/7. Interpreters are available.

For general health advice, call Healthline on 0800 611 116.

Find more mental health and wellbeing support services

The Mental Health Foundation have also collated information about different support services that can help people who need it.

FInd information from the Mental Health Foundation


Community support providers

Ethnic service providers

Find the list of ethnic service providers working to support communities affected by the Auckland flooding and Cyclone Gabrielle. You can reach out to them if you need support.

Find ethnic service providers in affected regions

Community Connectors

Community Connectors are employed by non-government organisations and are a trusted service to help people understand the many types of support options available through Government agencies or other service providers. Community Connectors can assist people to connect with the supports and services they need.

Find a Community Connector in your region


Language support

Accessing an interpreter

If you are calling a government agency and you need language assistance, ask for an interpreter. It is the government agency’s responsibility to make sure its services are accessible. This includes providing professional interpreters to the public for free.

Find out more

Preparing for an emergency

Information on how to prepare for an emergency is available on the Civil Defence website Get Ready. This information is available in a number of languages. 

Visit the Get Ready website

Last modified: