Key information about insurance:

  • Do not do anything that puts your safety at risk or causes more damage to your property
  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible
  • If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company
  • Take photos of any damage. It will help speed up assessments of your claims

For information on insurance and how to lodge a claim, check out the All of Government Factsheet.

Other support is available through the following organisations:

Insurance Council of New Zealand

The Insurance Council of New Zealand has important recovery and insurance advice on its website.

Check out the Insurance Council's advice.

The Insurance Council says that people's private insurers will be a single point of contact to support their insurance recovery if:

  • the land immediately around the home, or over the first 60 metres of the main accessway is damaged in a natural disaster 
  • an EQC Cover claim is required

Householders do not need to claim directly with Toka Tū Ake EQC - their private insurer will handle this on their behalf.

The Insurance Council has advice on:


Post your comment


No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page RSS feed for all comments

Last modified: