Civil Defence Factsheets 

Find out what support is available and where to get help on the Civil Defence factsheet. This information is available in different languages and alternate formats.  

Read the Cyclone Gabrielle factsheet (available in different languages and alternate formats)

Read the Auckland severe weather factsheet (available in different languages and alternate formats)

Civil Defence groups and emergency shelters 

Local Civil Defence groups will have information specific to a certain area.

For an up-to-date list of Civil Defence Centres, visit your local Civil Defence Emergency Management Group website. 

Temporary Accomodation Service

The Temporary Accomodation Service (TAS) may be able to help if you cannot remain in your home following Cyclone Gabrielle and the Auckland flooding.

TAS has been activated for the following regions:

  • Te Tai Tokerau | Northland
  • Tairāwhiti | Gisborne 
  • Te Moana a Toi | Bay of Plenty 
  • Te Matau-a-Māui | Hawke’s Bay
  • Waikato 
  • Tararua District 

If you need temporary accommodation, you can register with TAS and a temporary accommodation coordinator will be in touch with you.

Find out more about the Temporary Accommodation Service.

Register for the Temporary Accommodation Service.

Contact the Temporary Accommodation Service on 0508 754 163.


MetService, Te Ratonga Tirorangi, is New Zealand's national weather authority and issues warnings when bad and severe weather is approaching.  

Visit the MetService website for the latest weather forecasts

Follow MetService on Facebook

Tax relief for emergency events 

Some people affected by the cyclone and flooding may not be able to pay their tax on time or may need to update their details, such as income estimates, with IRD. 

In these circumstances, IRD may be able to offer additional support. 

Find out what support is available on the IRD website

Family Violence and Sexual Violence - Providing Help For Those Who Need It: A guide for emergency workers

While this guide is aimed at emergency workers, it has also been distributed to the community for guidance and help.

The guide includes information about:

  • What is family violence and sexual violence?
  • What signs might you notice?
  • What can you do?

Read the Family Violence and Sexual Violence - Providing Help For Those Who Need It: A Guide For Emergency Workers (PDF)

Grant writing support

Hui E! helps community groups apply for funding, including Cyclone Gabrielle and Flood relief funding. It matches groups with a volunteer grant writer.

Check out the Hui E! website for more information.





Last modified: