The COVID-19 Alert System has an effect on some activities funded by the Ethnic Communities Development Fund.  If you have recently made a request for funding, or have a project underway, here’s what you need to know:

Current situation

On 21 March 2020, New Zealand's four-level COVID-19 Alert System(external link) which specifies the public health and social measures to be taken against COVID-19 at each level, was announced.

On 25 March 2020, New Zealand moved to Alert Level 4. While Alert Level will change, it is likely that we will be an Alert Level system restrictions for some time.

There are a number of restrictions on the daily lives of those in New Zealand at this time, which in turn affect the ability to deliver on many Ethnic Communities Development Fund projects.

Although we cannot predict when things will return to “normal”, these guidelines will help you understand what you need to do.

You will be affected if you

  • have already had an Ethnic Communities Development Fund request approved for full or partial funding;
  • have submitted a request which has not yet been decided; or
  • are planning to submit a request.

What should I do if I have already received full or partial funding for an ECDF request?

If your project cannot be delivered as originally planned because of restrictions imposed at any of the COVID-19 Alert System Levels, contact a Community Advisor via email, and:

  • explain why the project did not, or will not proceed; and
  • advise if the project can be postponed but still be delivered within the 12 month limitation that applies to your current funding.

Projects that cannot currently go ahead as planned include in-person events like festivals and cultural celebrations or workshops that involve people meeting in one space.

If your project can be postponed, do not return the funding that you have been given – simply update a Community Advisor with any new information available when you are ready to proceed.

If your project cannot be postponed, consider whether there is another project that you can undertake within the funding amount that you have been given which aligns with the updated Ethnic Communities Development Fund priorities.  Discuss your proposal with a Community Advisor, who will liaise with the Office of Ethnic Communities to establish what, if any, next steps are needed.

If you do not wish to either postpone your approved project or consider another project which aligns with the updated Ethnic Communities Development Fund priorities, please contact a Community Advisor and confirm this. You will be required to make arrangements to return the funding allocated to you.

What will happen to an Ethnic Communities Development Fund request that was submitted before 01 April 2020 but is not yet decided?

All requests that have been submitted will be assessed on the merits of the request.

If your project cannot be delivered as originally proposed, your request will be declined, and you will be invited to resubmit your request when things return to “normal”. You may also wish to make a new proposal that lines up with the new priorities for the Ethnic Communities Development Fund – Unite Against COVID-19 focus. Information about the new priorities can be found here.

If any specific parts of your request require further work, this feedback will be provided to you.

 

Last modified: