Below is the English transcript of the Office of Ethnic Communities’ helpline information videos recorded in a range of languages. You can find the videos here.


Kia ora

This video has information about who to call if you or your family need help.

All of these helplines and websites have English as the first language. If you need an interpreter when calling the helplines: ask for a telephone interpreter, say the language you want, and wait to be connected.

If you don’t know which agency to speak to, you can call the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 – between 8am and 1am any day.

If you have Covid-19 symptoms or health questions, call your GP, or Healthline on 0800 358 5453. If it is an emergency call 111. 

It is important to look after your mental health and wellbeing during Covid-19. You can find top tips for looking after your mental health at link). These tips include finding ways to connect with others, spend time in nature and be active.

If you or a family member feel anxious or are in distress you can call or text 1737 to talk with a trained counsellor for free. This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The text line is in English.

Work and Income might be able to help:

  • If you’ve lost your job
  • If you have had your work hours reduced, or
  • if you want to access the wage subsidy available for employers, contractors and self-employed people.

Go to link) for more information. If you do not have internet access or need an interpreter, you can call 0800 559 009. There might be a wait to talk to an operator so please hold the line.

If you need temporary accommodation, for example to self-isolate, you can call the Temporary Accommodation Service 0508 754 163 to register your details. 

If you are an essential worker, you may be able to access home-based care for children aged 0-14.  Visit link) for more information. 

You can find all this information and more in English and other languages on the COVID-19 website: link)

Stay safe, save lives, stay home.

Last modified: